Register Forum Rules Recent Forum Posts View Members Advanced Search
November 5th, 2013

Now, for those of you a bit out of the loop, there's been a lot of buzz lately about DC and its live-action adaptations -- the ones for the small screen, not the big one. Arrow is enjoying a good run on the CW and I hear it's been getting a lot better lately. The general consensus is that, if nothing else, they're doing better on cable than Marvel is with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which most people haven't had the best reactions to.

Lately, rumors have been circulating about the Flash showing up in Arrow and spinning off into his own television series. The latest bit of news about DC's TV shows is a bit more surprising, though. Apparently, there's a possibility that we may be getting a show about Rex Tyler, (slightly) better known as Hourman.

If you just said "Who?", you're not alone. The character is certainly a niche one, even among comic book fans. Despite being around since 1940, he hasn't really enjoyed much in the way of popularity, though he's probably best known as a founding member of the Justice Society of America, the first superhero team and the precursor of the modern Justice League of America. His shtick is that he gets superpowers for one hour by taking a drug he developed himself called "Miraclo". Miraclo, however, turns out to be additive. In the meantime, he essentially forgets about his wife and son in preference of being a superhero. Most of that seems to be mentioned in the plot outline you can find here.

Hourman centers on a brilliant-yet-troubled pharmaceutical analyst who discovers that the visions that have plagued him since childhood are actually glimpses of tragic events occurring one hour in the future. Determined to win back his ex-wife and son, he heroically prevents these tragedies from unfolding, finding both purpose and redemption along the way.

Personally, I'm all for it, but I don't think it's going to work out. We've had rumors circulating here and there about TV shows for every DC character from Booster Gold to Starman. Superman and the Green Arrow are the only ones it's actually worked out for, though. That said, Hourman has some obvious advantages over a lot of good TV show candidates: he's cheap. His powers aren't particularly showy, so the special effects wouldn't be expensive. He also has enough depth and uniqueness as a character that he wouldn't feel stale or like more of the same.

Thoughts anyone?
November 5th, 2013
I've never heard of this character before o_O
But I like DC comics more than Marvel so I kind a looking forward to see how these series about unknown character will turn out.

Is there any particular date when these series should come out?
November 5th, 2013
I've never heard of this character before o_O

Well, he's pretty obscure to be fair, even among comic book fans. I mean, let's put it this way. How many characters do you recognize from the original JSA line-up?

But I like DC comics more than Marvel so I kind a looking forward to see how these series about unknown character will turn out.

Having company-based biases is generally a bad idea when it comes to comics if you ask me.

Is there any particular date when these series should come out?

None whatsoever. We're not even 100% sure if we're getting a Flash series. News about Hourman just broke today, so it might not even happen.
November 6th, 2013
Well, he's pretty obscure to be fair, even among comic book fans. I mean, let's put it this way. How many characters do you recognize from the original JSA line-up?

Only 2 ,maybe 3 :D Art style changed a lot since then. Try to compare nowadays Batman with Old Tv Series
Click here to see full text

Having company-based biases is generally a bad idea when it comes to comics if you ask me.

I know, but I was disappointed with Marvel. Specially with it's live action movies.
I only liked old Spider Man trilogy and the X-Men. The rest.. I don't know. Pretty much predictable plot which kind gets repeated in their every movie. Batman is my all
time favourite since I love everything about him : story tone, characters, plot.
I am not stating that Marvel sucks, but I prefer DC simply because of my taste.

None whatsoever. We're not even 100% sure if we're getting a Flash series. News about Hourman just broke today, so it might not even happen.

Oh I see. Anyways, Flash series sounds awesome.
November 6th, 2013
Now, for those of you a bit out of the loop, there's been a lot of buzz lately about DC and its live-action adaptations -- the ones for the small screen, not the big one. Arrow is enjoying a good run on the CW and I hear it's been getting a lot better lately. The general consensus is that, if nothing else, they're doing better on cable than Marvel is with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., which most people haven't had the best reactions to.

Arrow has always been amazing (no spoilers pls england is behind america)
shield not so much though first ep thought it was gonna be about the small time supers but its actually about the normalfags (lol)

If you just said "Who?", you're not alone. The character is certainly a niche one, even among comic book fans. Despite being around since 1940, he hasn't really enjoyed much in the way of popularity, though he's probably best known as a founding member of the Justice Society of America, the first superhero team and the precursor of the modern Justice League of America. His shtick is that he gets superpowers for one hour by taking a drug he developed himself called "Miraclo". Miraclo, however, turns out to be additive. In the meantime, he essentially forgets about his wife and son in preference of being a superhero. Most of that seems to be mentioned in the plot outline you can find here.

BANE: DONT TAKE AWAY THE VENOM

Batman and Iron man are just as great as each other

Spectre
Captain Marvel
Hawkman
Dr Fate

I think Im right I don't even follow western comics

the guy to the left of spectre looks like the guy from watchman
the guy to the right of dr fate looks like some kind of original lantern design

I know, but I was disappointed with Marvel. Specially with it's live action movies.
I only liked old Spider Man trilogy and the X-Men. The rest.. I don't know. Pretty much predictable plot which kind gets repeated in their every movie. Batman is my all
time favourite since I love everything about him : story tone, characters, plot.
I am not stating that Marvel sucks, but I prefer DC simply because of my taste.

yh the original spiderman and xmen trilogy was better but they had to make a reboot (spiderman) to get him in avengers, also WB still got the rights on wolverine (or the entire xmen not sure) and they gonna milk non cannon films as long as they can. but i did hate the fact that cyclops dies and wolverine and a phoenix have a thing going on (Scott x Jean my favourite xmen i also ship them)

Christian Bale as Batman and Robert Downey JR as Iron Man also make them the greatest of each (although they were the best before them) Im not sure how i feel about them stepping down, its like they were born to play them

P.S. I like first class (xmen) but i hated it coz of the non canon BS (dont even follow it and i still know non canon when i see it) like cyclops (scott summers) YOUNGER brother being around while prof X is still young as well as emma frost who has been with cyclops which would make her a really old lady (eww)

captain america should have been better (havent seen the 2nd but that looks better)
and thor, no comments (also havent seen the 2nd)

also heard there might be a Wonder woman film or series coming out @KhailAnonymous on MachinimaETC

Last edited on November 6th, 2013 at 02:50 PM. Reason: Double Post